Thursday 27 January 2011

When It Rains..

For once a useful piece from a local paper syndicate (the Budleigh Salterton / Exmouth / Sidmouth / Axminster Herald), although I did get to 'edit' it first which is always nice and prevents journalists from writing things that I have never said. One recent journalist managed to get figures relating to lung cancer research funding completely wrong, which is frustrating when I'm trying to give an accurate portrayal of what's happening, or not. The word 'survivor' in today's article was not something that I would have personally chosen, and was added after my edit. It seems to indicate that I have 'survived' cancer, which is simply not the case - I am LIVING with it, a big difference. Maybe an issue of semantics, but one I feel awkward about.

Midweek Herald Interview

When it rains, it pours, as the saying goes! I've also just carried out the first part of a possible interview for the Stella supplement of the Sunday Telegraph, looking at how a cancer or other permanent illness diagnosis can alter the dynamics of a relationship. Talking to a number of different couples, of different relationship periods, with differing illnesses, the journalist is looking to shed light on how people cope in their own individual ways. We were hesitant to get involved unless we felt that there was something that we could say to make people truly understand what it is like, for both of us, to live with a cancer diagnosis. The uncertainty, the denial of a pre-planned linear future etc. However, Helen (the journalist) strikes me as having the right aims, so we look forward to seeing what develops.

A beautiful day from last winter, of Bow Fell looking towards the Scafells

I have had a bit of a hiatus in writing recently, not for laziness, but because I'd been trying to get my thoughts together about the next piece, as well as I've had a lot on because of my grandmother being in hospital since Christmas Day. Normal service will resume shortly! Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. You have had a lot on your plate - and I'm glad to see you writing again! We have over 14 inches of snow here; we skied yesterday and today; will take a break tomorrow, besides it's Super Bowl Sunday, America's favorite festival (not mine!) Much love to you both.

    ReplyDelete